Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Great Krypton! Superman has found its director and villain

Photo courtesy of Google

“Watchmen” and “300” director Zack Snyder will be directing the new Superman film from Warner Bros. with Christopher Nolan as a producer.

According to Deadline, an online entertainment blog, Snyder was chosen from a short list of possible directors that included Tony Scott, Duncan Jones and Matt Reeves after meeting with Nolan and another producer, Emma Thomas.

It’s also being reported by /film that the film’s villain will be General Zod, who was played by Terence Stamp in “Superman II.”

While it’s great to see a villain that can stand toe-to-toe against Superman, I just hope the movie will have an appearance by Lex Luthor. Say what you will about Bryan Singer’s “Superman Returns,” I thought Kevin Spacey was great as Luthor.

Here’s what Snyder had to say about directing the new Superman film to Deadline:

“I've been a big fan of the character for a long time, he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one…It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David [Goyer] and Chris [Nolan] have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish ‘Sucker Punch’ and get right at it."

While I’m looking forward to Snyder’s take on the Man of Steel, I’m a bit hesitant. I enjoyed “300” and even “Watchmen” had its moments, I’m just afraid that this new take on Superman is going to have a gratuitous use of slow motion. But that’s just me.

Sources:  Deadline, /film

No comments:

Post a Comment